Thursday, February 16, 2017

Jesus: More Money-Minded

Click for a printable version of this post.

Scripture for Sunday, February 19:  Luke 6:17-26

Additional Scripture:  Luke 18:18-30, Acts 2:42-47

By world standards, I am fabulously wealthy.  I live in a clean, well-lighted place.  I can get a cup of cold water from a running faucet in my house whenever I want.  I have an embarrassing number of shoes in my closet.  I don't have to make terrible decisions about which child I can feed today.

So when I read Jesus many teachings about wealth, poverty, generosity and the life of faith in Luke, I know his cautions are for me. 

"Woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort."  (Luke 6:24)

"Watch out!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed.  A [person's] life does not consist in the abundance of [their] possessions."  (Luke 12:15)

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor.  Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys."  (Luke 12:33)

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”  (Luke 16:13)

There are many, many more.  In his preparation this week, Rev. Jonker counted at least 20 verses in the book of Luke that relate to money.  Jesus is indeed "more money-minded" than we expect.

Watch out!  Jesus says.

What's the big deal about money?  After all, money can be a great good, right?  God gives it to us to steward on his behalf--to provide for our needs, and to share with others.

I think the problem comes when we mistake the gift of money for the Giver himself.  This is insidious.  Money has the power to shift our hearts and our vision just enough to take our eyes off our Lord and onto other things:  our own ability to earn it; the things we can buy with it; the earthly status we can achieve through it. 

When I always have enough, it can be possible for me to miss out on recognizing God's provision in my life.  Wealth can be to my detriment if it impoverishes me spiritually.  

The family that I married into has given me the great gift of firsthand stories of God's provision.  Money was always tight, and trust became an ingrained habit. 

Late one summer, the family made a list of the kids' needs for school.  Mom sat at the kitchen table and totaled up the costs.  She tried to assess what was a "need" and what would be "nice to have."  She looked for ways to trim the list or cut costs.

And yet....  After all her assessment, there was a clear deficit between the money in the bank and the need.  She calculated the deficit down to the penny.  She began to pray about the need, not sharing the need or the amount beyond her own home.

Some time later, a note came in the mail.  To her surprise, it contained a check from someone who wanted to support and encourage their family.  The note asked the family to excuse the odd amount of the check; it was the amount they had felt led to send. 

The check was made out in the exact, down-to-the-penny amount Mom had determined was necessary for the school supplies. 

The family recognized God's provision in taking care of them.  This was a faith-building gift, for both the giver and the recipient. 



How has God provided for you in surprising ways?  More expected ways (that nevertheless come from him)? 

What stories does your family tell of God's provision?

Disciplined stewardship of financial wealth is a high and holy calling.  Consider how God has shaped your own life as you have used the money he has entrusted to you.  Ask him to speak to you about his presence and faithfulness to you, whether you have a lot or a little. 

What role does your money have in setting the priorities of your heart?